Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Race on for the "hot" seat

Some ramblings about elections in the country........it's a random narration with no structure of thoughts.

It's time for elections in Karnataka. The last time the results were dreadful with no party winning with a majority required to form a government on it's own. Unstable coalitions governments proved to be a curse for the people of this state. The last 5 years saw 3 chief minister from 3 different parties stake claim for short periods. This meant that the first few days in office were spent in celebrating their success and the last few days in trying desperate measures to retain the hot seat. In between the ministers were busy settling scores against their foes......oops! No friends and foes in politics.

Last 5 years the state has stumbled on numerous fronts. Bangalore promised a lot but delivered little. Administrative reforms remained on paper and never took shape due to constant threats to the survival of the coalition. Infrastructure in the city has stumbled with people spending most of their time on the roads. Crime rates are on the rise.....the list of woes are endless.

The "pack of jokers" have made a mockery of the people's mandate or do our votes even matter. Come election time and parties and politicians pumps crores of rupees to lure the under privileged with free booze and cash. This helps swing the mandate in their favor.

The declared assets of most candidates swell to crores. I cannot imagine the actual figures. Their pockets have swelled at the cost of poor taxpayers money.

What happened to the storm "Lead India" created. Will we get to see the hero contest in the state. Or is it another reality show that attracted the masses but failed to create a leader.

It's been 8 yrs since the road in front of my apartment has been concreted. Each time Bangalore sees a heavy downpour there's flooding in the surrounding area due to a poorly maintained storm water drain. I see the list of candidates who are contesting from my area and am not convinced about the credentials of any of them. I doubt if they'd make a difference to my life and those living around me. Do I need someone like that to represent me and raise my concerns and initiate works on my behalf.

I am wary of casting my mandate for a variety of reasons.
  • will it even make a difference
  • do I need "some" candidate to represent my constituency.
Campaigns have kick started in various parts of the state........people have to put up with traffic snarls and excessive noises in the coming days. The commute to office is going to get tougher.

Hope the son of the soil.....humble farmer with a hummer does not make it to the hot seat this
time.............He needs to be shown the door for ridiculing one of the greatest democracies int the world.

I pray some sense prevails among the people of the state.......God save Karnataka and Bangalore as the "race" for hot seat hots up!!!

All opinions are personal..................

No comments: