Sunday, November 30, 2008

deep rooted change....version 2

I never imagined I'll blog again so soon on this topic.

India has been attacked again and after watching the harrowing scenes aired on TV the least I could do is express my feelings, anger and emotions on cyber world to relieve myself. A handful of terrorists succeeded in holding mumbai (rather the whole nation) hostage for over 48 hours.

Though anger is my first reaction to this incident at the helplessness, I am constantly reminding myself that it doesnt help. I have read through a variety of responses to this whole incident and each one had a different dimension to offer.

This quote below probably expressed the best reasoning for such incidents across the world.

A friend, a physician, commented the other day something that stayed with me. Everything we do in our life, all our actions, our efforts and our strife stand on the one singular pillar of our will to live. A patient who goes through the intense days of chemotherapy and radiation has only one force driving him to oust the cancer that has taken over his body, his will to live. A terrorist who flies a plane into a tower and happily takes the bullets of commandos, had lost his will to live. He came there knowing he would die. He came there knowing he would never have to look at himself in the mirror after having killed so many innocent people. Only sheer hopelessness could take away one's will to live. Call me an optimist, an idealist but maybe preventing terrorism would have to start at finding and eliminating this hopelessness and not just the people who fall prey to it. And finally, it is the innocent, unsuspecting people who go about their lives and get killed when this man's hopelessness seeps through bullets and bomb explosions.

It is high time that our will to live is stronger than that lone gunman's will to die.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a nice starting point to analyze the problem.

So, why do you think such hopelessness is so rife within the muslim community?

~ Vinod

RANGA said...

I am struggling to find out......but stats prove that larger families, lesser resources lead to poverty and make them vulnerable. Also the lack of education. These are based on stats.......if you have alternate thoughts ?